Sunday, February 27, 2005

Best Movie?

Trivia: What made Veer-Zaara the best movie of the last year?

I think the answer is Yash Raj Banners.

In bollywood, there are good movies, there are bad movies and then there are very stereotyped , and hence mediocre and unintuitive movies. In the last category, we can blindly put any recent movie of these two gentlemen, Yash Chopraji and Karan Johar. Yash Chopra (who was brilliant in his early movies like Waqt and Kabhi Kabhi to name a few) has clearly given up on the pressure these days. I don't say making love stories is not good. But why same thing over and over? And don't tell me that Veer Zaara was any different just because it had old SRK.

Karan Johar is one pampered baby, who according to statistics is yet to see a flop. In my diary, he is yet to see a decent movie. What made Kuch Kuch Hota Hai, a story of a boy who is out to seek two girls and helped by his own girl child, a hit, frankly I would never know. If in real world, assume I, after my wife dies 6 years hence, try to woo a old girl friend, who probably has settled in life in her own way. I'd be clearly out of my mind to do so. Then Kal Ho Naa Ho was ditto Anand. And I'd watch Baghbaan thrice a day, if I have that as a choice over Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham. Totally unimaginative, I say.

I think the only reason why Yash Chopra succeeds is his music and KJ because of his lavish star cast. But pardon me in saying, Veer Zaara cannot be ranked as Yashji's better efforts, even considering it had music by Madan Mohan and Times of India had given it better stars (I don't know how many). And people would not have watched K3G if it had not been those Shah Rukh Khans, Amitabh Bachchans, Hritik Roshans and so on. But if you ask me, I'd prefer SRK in Kabhi Haan Kabhi Naa, Baazigar; AB in any of his 80s movie and Roshan Jr in any other less sillier movie.

Again, this is not to say that the experimental movie would always be good. Take a look at Gayab and you'd know what I mean.

But at least spare me from the obscene display of your wealth and your idea of 'good life', people. Get a life yourself and move on.

For the precise reason I admire Hrishikesh Mukherjee or Sai Paranjpe a lot. They don't make those kind of movies any more. On second thoughts, I seem to be repeating this line quite often, I am stereotyped myself! :D

signing off,

No comments: